I NEVER leave my kitchen in a mess…….well ok, I seldom do. But when I slack, I SLACK. I had so much on my to-do list today but I just couldn’t bear to leave my kitchen like this one more day (it had already been 3!). I have a pretty good routine down that I have developed over the years. I cook from scratch everyday so I have had a lot of practice! It usually takes me 15-20 minutes to get my kitchen cleaned from top to bottom. Today I took notes as I went to share with you my patented hurry-up-and-clean-the-kitchen-so-I-can-go-do-fun-stuff routine. Time yourself and let me know how you did!
This is my disaster of a kitchen beforehand. I am so embarrassed to post this but to show you how I got to the ‘after’, you need to see the ‘before’. This is about 3 days worth of “I’ll do it laterrrrrrr”
Ok, don’t panic! It you try to do a little bit of everything at once, it will take forever and you will become overwhelmed. Here is the best step-by-step plan of attack. Don’t get distracted. Just focus at the task at hand and here’s how you can do it in 20 minutes flat.
1. Empty the clean dishes out of the dishwasher. If the dishwasher is empty already, skip to #2. – 3 MINUTES
2. Put dirty dishes into dishwasher & throw out/recycle bits of packages/saran wrap/tea bags etc. as you move around the kitchen. Don’t bother to pre-rinse your dishes. Spend the extra .50cents and get a good dishwasher detergent. – 1 MINUTE
3. Fill sink with hot soapy water. While the sink is filling, don’t stand there and stare at it. Take this time to put away things that were left out from cooking like spices, kettle, salt, flour etc. Once sink is full, fill with all the dishes you are going to wash and let soak. – 4 MINUTES
4. Put away clean dishes that are dry from the last time you did dishes. I never towel dry stuff because its sooooo much easier to let them air dry so I always have clean dishes in m drying sink. I have a 2 sink system – wash in one, dry in the other. – 1 MINUTE
5. Now you wash the dishes. You can towel dry and put away or you can leave them out to air dry in your drying sink or drying rack. I dried mine this time and put them away. – 8 MINUTES
6. Empty dirty water in sink and refill just a tad with hot soapy water to wipe down the counters and stove. I had my bachelorette party over a month ago and I still am finding these little confetti decorations all over the house! – 3 MINTUES
Total Time 20 MINTUES! OR LESS
Here is your wonderful sparkling kitchen! Now you have time to go work on that DIY project you saw on Pinterest. 😉
Time yourself! Let me know how you did!
~with love, Chelsey P